How Start A Career In Digital Marketing And Land Your First Job As A Beginner With No Experience
Since the pandemic began, Many have lost their source of livelihood, and getting a job has become even more difficult. But there’s one industry that keeps balling(continues to grow at a fast pace) irrespective of what’s happening. If you are not actively involved in this industry yet, I will have to ask you the question I asked my friend Nduka in July 2020, “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?”. Anyways, The good new though is that Its not too late to jump in and join the party.
I remembered back then in school before I graduated, Some of my “rich” Family acquaints promised me heaven and earth (a good job in a reputable organization), I don’t know if they thought I would remain an under-graduate forever. After graduation, I quickly found out that all those promises where “YIMU” (Vernacular for “empty”), nobody had plans for me. it was all man for himself. I Quickly had to do something about my life and finances.
I am sure some of us can relate, “story of our lives”.
You get to that point in your life where it seems like you are in the middle of a big pool and the only options you have is to swim or drawn.
Some of us have recovered from this experience, some are currently in this phase of their life, while some others have never recovered. I overcame my disappointment from my promisers by leveraging some of the digital skills, which I will share here.
I’m going to show you how to start a career in digital marketing and grow both your knowledge, salary or income(if you are looking to start a side hustle).
As more and more companies turn to the Internet to reach a bigger audience and to generate sales, two things comes to mind;
1. There’s more money flowing towards online marketing, and
2. The need for experts in digital marketing has never been greater.
no wonder digital marketing courses and getting a job in digital marketing is a hot topic right now, it’s an in-demand industry. Very soon e go b “wahala for who no get digital skills” (Pidgin English for — “Trouble for those who don’t have any digital skills”).
I bet you didn’t know that there are about 1.6 million job openings for digital marketing roles worldwide. The Opportunity is huge ( and this number will keep growing because more business are embracing the digital world).
That’s why equipping yourself with the right skillset will help position you.
the good thing is that whether you decide to work for a particular organization/brand or as a freelancer, there are important steps you need to take in other to position yourself, irrespective of your geographical location (i mean, you can work for a foreign organization and earn in foreign currency while living in a third world country).
But first, let me quickly tackle the myth that says you need a marketing degree before you can achieve anything in this industry, The answer is a big NO, its not compulsory. instead what you would definitely need is guidance, the right resources, mentorship and trainings.
Anyways, here are some of the most in-demand digital skills that I strongly suggest you should pay attention to;
1. copywriting and sales closing (direct response copywriting, email marketing, landing pages)
2. content marketing
3. social media marketing
4. search engine optimization (SEO)
5. Traffic/leads generation- free and paid traffic ( Facebook ads, Instagram, YouTube and google ads), applicable to areas like affiliate marketing and CPA marketing.
6. content creation (text, audio, videos, presentations).
These skills are not rocket science, once you can master 2 or 3 of these skills, especially traffic generation and copywriting, you should never have money problems again.
So if you are looking to up your skill, or start your digital career and you don’t know where to start? Here’s How to go about it, follow these 5 simple process;
1. Start Building Your Digital Skills: You definitely have to start by arming yourself with the necessary knowledge and skillset.
You can decide to learn everything yourself by trial and error, but this might take you longer time, more money spent, and in some cases loss of your social media accounts (like when I lost my Facebook ad account due to a silly mistake that could have been avoided if I had someone to guide me).
I also understand that acquiring some of these skills can be expensive, a good Facebook ads course can go for up to $150 and sometimes even more.
Well, here’s my strong recommendation; There’s a practical, easy to follow Video resource that teaches copywriting, organic/free traffic, WhatsApp marketing, Facebook ads, Instagram ads, YouTube ads, affiliate marketing, Financial Literacy including weekly zoom calls with Mentors and Leaders in the internet marketing space then . If you have been finding it difficult to get yourself started, NO MORE EXCUSES, Here’s a great place to start and be accountable >> Skills On Demand
2. Practice Your Knowledge And Aggressively Implement: No matter how much you learn and read, without implementation nothing will change, absolutely nothing. No amount of learning can substitute for actions.
Nobody Learns to drive an actual car on paper. There’s something called road sense. Road sense can only be gotten as you practice with a real car on in the streets and on the major road.
Don’t shy away from putting out your content, don’t let imposter syndrome hold you back .
Gain the Necessary experience, “Experience does not necessarily mean the number of years you have been doing this, you might have been a digital marketer for several months if not years but what stands you out is what you were able to achieve with the knowledge and skills that you have and what you have to show for it”.
The Next step is to;
3. Create an online presence. use your knowledge to build your personal brand. set up your profile across different social media platforms LinkedIn, Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc. Further more you could start your blog where you could share your knowledge. If you don’t have the budget to get a domain name and hosting for now, you could open a free medium account and share your thoughts there. Doing this will also help you build up your portfolio.
4. Begin To Network Intentionally — participate in relevant groups; Facebook groups, LinkedIn groups, forums…. meet people, give value, let them know what you are about. Sometimes in life it’s not necessarily about what you know, but who you know.
Attend as many conferences, meetups, and webinars as you can and see it as an opportunity to network and know other people.
Most of the influential people you know actually grew their influence from networking and meeting new people.
5. Visit gigs and Job boards frequently e.g. Upwork, Freelancer, LinkedIn job board, Fiverr and people per hour (of course there are more, you can do your research to find out more)
If There’s one thing i can beat my chest and say with confidence it will be this; with 30 to 60 days of consistency and implementation, you can literally take your digital marketing career from zero to hero.
PS: If you have interest in Internet Marketing, Entrepreneurship, or you love to connect and build your network, connect with me via WhatsApp.